Godrej Protekt mr. magic - a first of its kind powder-to-liquid handwash - is
our innovative, sustainable new solution to cleaner hands
Nurturing memorable, relevant, and purposeful brands
Strengthening the core, creating new vectors of
growth, and entering attractive adjacencies
- Competitive market conditions
- New entrants into the market
- Design thinking-led approach
- Integrated RIDE (Research & Development + Innovation + Design + Expertise) structure
- Investments in research & development
- In-house design lab
- Dedicated central Innovation team
Key Focus Areas
- A two-pronged approach to innovation: democratisation and creating new vectors of growth
- Leveraging our cross-functional RIDE (Research & Development + Innovation + Design + Expertise) structure
- Investments in design, technology, and skills
- Building global partnerships
- Fostering a culture of innovation
Our focus and investments in innovation and research & development have translated into the creation of significant Intellectual Capital.
Accelerating our innovation pipeline is critical to our success. Innovation rates in India and Indonesia are 50 per cent higher than those in the last year. The number of new products launched annually in the last 2 years has doubled. This translates into stronger Financial Capital metrics.
- Number of new products launched annually in the last 2 years has doubled
- New products launched in the last 5 years account for over 20% of the India business
- Innovation rates in India and Indonesia are 30% and 50% higher, respectively, than the last year
- 17 new products launched over 5 years in India
Innovation is our lifeblood as a company, and we are very focused on driving innovation-led growth across our different categories. As category leaders, we believe that we must keep innovating and finding new ways to grow our categories. Especially in emerging markets, we are focused on democratising categories and making superior-quality, delightfully designed products available at affordable prices. We are also pursuing attractive adjacencies and creating new vectors of growth to broaden our portfolio.
We are using the design thinking tools of empathy, rapid prototyping, and visualisation to reimagine our brands and create new ones. To support this, we are also accelerating our innovation pipeline, ramping up capabilities, investing significantly in research & development, and cross-pollinating learning and products across geographies.
The number of new products launched annually in the last two years has doubled. The new products launched in the last five years account for over 20 per cent of the India business. Innovation rates in our India and Indonesia businesses are 30 per cent and 50 per cent higher, respectively, than the last year. Air care, a category that we launched in India in 2012, has globally evolved into the fourth core category for us. We are now leaders in air fresheners in India and Indonesia.
We have an integrated platform, RIDE (Research & Development + Innovation + Design + Expertise), to combine efforts of key functions involved in new product development. This platform streamlines and expedites innovation delivery, as well as ensures agile execution. Our central innovation team leads new product development in global categories across India, Indonesia, Africa, and the USA. They also offer design thinking strategic input for brand architecture, enable cross-pollination and sharing of product ideas and processes, and constantly evaluate patents and new technologies in the consumer goods space globally.
Our Godrej Indonesia R&D team
We have set up a state-of-the-art global research & development (R&D) centre at our headquarters in Mumbai, supported by local R&D centres in our different geographies. Similar to this, we have global, local, and category-specific R&D teams who partner across geographies and share learnings.
We have built an in-house global design lab to integrate design thinking and transform product capabilities. The lab consists of highly skilled graphic and industrial designers from across geographies who collaborate on projects.
Through our different strategic global partnerships, we are leveraging various cutting-edge technologies and processes. Some of our key partners include Bayer AG, Sumitomo Corporation, Kanekalon, and Firmenich.
Godrej Group Chairman, Adi Godrej, with our Global Design team in Mumbai
We are partnering across stakeholders to build a shared culture of innovation. Through ‘I am Ardeshir’, an innovation challenge named after Ardeshir Godrej, founder of the Godrej Group, we invited Godrejites from India and SAARC and key partners to come forward with product and process innovation ideas. We received 382 ideas from our team members and selected multiple ones to carry forward through our innovation pipeline. Our partners sent in over 100 ideas, and we selected three for further co-development.
- First ever powder-to-liquid handwash
Democratising the handwash category
- Huge potential in the handwash category in India
Handwash penetration is only ~10% compared to soap
penetration of 99.9%
Handwash category growing at 15% CAGR over the last 3 years;
potential to be ₹8,000 crore
- Innovative, multi-beneficial, and functionally superior range to simplify your grooming regime
Products for face, body, hair, and beard
- Huge potential in the ₹100 crore male grooming category in India
Growing at 1.3× in the home and personal care category
- Go-to-market approach
Leverage strong pan-India distribution reach
New e-commerce organisation to aid scale up
- Foray into the herbal-based powder hair colour segment with India’s largest henna brand
Addresses white spaces in our portfolio
- Entry into the second largest but very fragmented segment
Opportunity size of ₹1,000 crore
- Focus on consumer recruitment
Affordable price point of ₹10
- 100% natural mosquito-repellent incense sticks infused with neem and turmeric to repel mosquitoes and provide effective protection
- Builds on the brand’s market leadership position in household insecticides
- A safe and effective alternative to illegal, harmful products
- Affordable pricing of ₹15 for 10 sticks that burn for 3 hours each
- Innovative paper pyramid format, breaks away from the limitations of existing mosquito coils, and available at the same price
- Forays into the USD 100+ million coils format
- 4x more efficacious than coils and safer, with 4x less smoke
- Infused with the revolutionary HIT TFT dot formula, kills even the most resilient mosquitoes
- Extension into a revolutionary liquid powder format
- Safer alternative to regular talcum powders
- Dust-free lotion texture
- Combination of active natural ingredients like pro-vitamin B5, talc, zinc and chamomile
- Subtle fragrance, perfect for babies
- Darling fundamentally believes that an empowered woman is a force of change
- Hair plays a vital role in the self- confidence of women in Africa. The relaunch renewed focus on creating a range of trendy, great quality and surprisingly affordable hair for her every hair need.
- A disruptive multi-oil spray that provides natural shine and extra conditioning
- Comprehensive range of treatments for damage, dandruff, and dryness
- Enriched with olive, argan, and coconut oils; deeply conditions hair, making it soft, silky, and lustrous
- Revitalises dry and dull hair for healthier, natural, and long-lasting shine
- Innovative hair colour; offers the best quality at the most affordable price
- Cutting-edge technology; a bleaching kit with a semi-permanent colour
- Includes ammonia-free bleaching powder to prevent hair damage
- Also comes in a fashionable grey shade; one of a kind in the semi-permanent segment
- Taps into the USD 0.8 billion wet hair care market
- Quality comparable to that of premium brands, at an affordable price
- Unique ingredient stories inspired by real home remedies
- Delightful fragrances and superior moisture for coily (kinky) hair